Monday, June 10, 2013

Top 3 Tips Caring For Family Member With Alzheimer's Disease In The Summer

Now that summer is approaching, we have switched from spring like conditions to very hot conditions. As the weather changes so must we as caregivers. Summertime in most places brings extreme conditions and those of us who care for someone who has Alzheimer's or disabled must be more aware of things.

My father had Alzheimer's for over 15 years and the past few years I was his at-home care provider. He lost all mobility and verbal communication several years ago so I mainly have to think for him.I make sure my thinking changes as conditions change.

I will share with you 3 things that I was more aware of in the summer time than most seasons.These 3 suggestion may seem so simple, but you would surprised how many people don't practice it. Now when I speak of these suggestions, I'm mainly speaking to those who are caring for those who are not able to verbally communicate and have no mobility, but can apply to others as well..

1.Plenty Of Water.  Even though this is believe to be a no brainer, so many disable people suffer from dehydration. Not because they are being purposely neglected or anything, but caregivers tend to give the same amount of water in the summer time as they do in other season.Because of the sweating that takes place in the summer, more fluids will be needed.

2.Try To Keep Their Room The Same Temperature. It's so easy to always turn the thermostat up and down as we try to keep ourselves comfortable. The problem I started running into was I was always adjusting it to fit my need. Because I was always moving about, I would get warm quickly so to the thermostat I would go. When I cool down back to the thermostat I went.Now my dad had Alzheimer's and was confined to the bed and I wasn't aware that I was changing the temperature on him also.He would stay with a cold and even though I was treating it and went away, I wasn't aware that it was me that was causing the problem.

3. Keep The Room They Sleep In Sanitized. This is very important as temperature soars in the 100 degree mark. Germs really spread in these condition more than any other season, so keep their room mopped every other day and wipe down at least twice a week. This room is where they are getting bathe and changed in, so germs are easier to spread in hot conditions.

These are my 3 tips for caring for disabled family members in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment