Saturday, June 1, 2013

3 Effective Techniques Of Communicating With Dementia Patients

Families and caregivers can maintain a quality of life when caring for a family member with dimentia at home for years after the person has been diagnosed. Having a plan with family before taking on this responsibility could reduce stress levels and not put so much burden on just one person.

Now, a person could live with Alzheimer's up to twenty years after diagnosis. The family dynamics will change drastically over the course of the disease, but there is always hope when family and friends make adjustments for the gradual and progressive decline in memory loss and ability.

As Alzheimer's progresses, communication can become very challenging.Having ongoing communication is important no matter how difficult it may become or how confused the person appears to be. Even though at times the person may not respond, they still benefit from direct communication.

My father had this disease for over 15 years and as time went by he loss all mobility as well as his communication skills. At first, this was a tough task. Trying to figure out when something was wrong because he could no longer express to me what was wrong, was stressful.It took me to really take a step back and examine my approach to the situation, because I found that I was still trying to communicate with him on the same level before Alzheimer's. Here are 3 techniques I tried and over time helped me.

1.Always be aware of the tone you use. As I stated earlier, communication can be very challenging, especially when you are not use to talking to someone that may or may not understand you.This is when you have to watch your tone. Frustration and stress will reach its peak, and before you are aware of it, you will be screaming at the top of your lungs to the person.What I learn was to speak direct and make short sentences, because them trying to decipher long sentences will not work.

2.Call the person by name often. It took me a while to really do this but found it to be effective.A person with dementia mostly have bad short term memory but things that happened earlier in their life they remember.Most times my dad didn't even recognize me, but I will still say daddy do this and daddy do that.Most times I didn't get a response. One day I started calling him by his name. Come to find out that's what he responded too.In a calm voice, I would say Robert, and when he acknowledge his name,I would say "time to take a bath" and most times he responded.

3.Pay attention to your body language. This is a crucial part of caregiving when it comes to communicating. Your facial expression and your stance could send negative messages. It gives them the impression you are being bossy and they will start treating you like the enemy. The last thing you need is for them to feel this way because if they feel threaten they will start acting out on it. Always use a positive and friendly expression even when you don't feel like it.

These are 3 things that I hope can help through your time as a caregiver. We never know when it might be us.Keep making adjustments until you figure out what works best for your situation. This has been my experience dealing with not only a dad but also my granddad.

For more info please subscribe to this blog or visit my website below
http://caregiversremainingconnected.com

No comments:

Post a Comment