Sunday, April 21, 2013

Do Older People Fake Dementia To Get Attention

If you are at home caring for a parent/spouse, trying to figure out on your own if a person is faking dementia can be dangerous. Unless you get the proper tests done on a person, you would never be able to tell.

My father had Alzheimer's for over 15 years before he passed Sept 2012, but one of the things I remember when he was first diagnosed was how he got confused a lot about things he had known for years.No matter how you try to correct him, it just didn't register wih him  He would always confuse me with my older brother. Even after tellng him my name, it would only take minutes before he called me my brother's name again.It was as if I didn't exist in his mind at times.

Now because I didn't know anything about dimentia, I just came to the conclusion that it was just age. Now, even though I thought it was his age, some of my other siblings thought maybe he was just looking for extra attention .They just couldn't understand how he could remember something one minute and the next had no clue about it. But that is the danger of coming to a conclusion like that without getting them checked first.
Dementia in its early stages can really give off symptoms of someone faking. Because dementia affects the transmissions of signals to different parts of the brain can lead to a person remembering certain things one minute and the next minute they don't.

As the stage progress, it will be where they won't even recognize their own children at times. You could be having a normal conversation one minute and because the transmission signal starts going to the part of the brain that stores memory, they won't even know who you are at that time.Since the signal went to the area that stores memory, they may only remember you as a 12 year old child and not their 40 year old child.

If you have a mother/father that remembers things one minute and the next gets into a confuse state of mind and don't quite know how to put things together, don't try figuring out if they are trying to get attention or not. Get them to a doctor and get them check because it may be they are in the early stages of dementia.

Get great information from this detailed book by former Tennessee Coach Pat Summitt

No comments:

Post a Comment