Sunday, February 17, 2013

Caregiver Burnout

Are you a caregiver that is having trouble with burnout? Don't be too alarmed if you are having this issue. This is something we all as caregivers will have to endure. The question is, are you having burnouts frequent? If that is the case you may want to look into things a little further.

The thing with burnout that I experienced during my caregiving days for my dad who had alzheimer's was, I found out that it was me who was causing the burnout. Now most times it's all the responsibilities that are placed upon us that we feel is causing the numerous burnouts, but if you looked a little closer you may discover that you are doing things that are bringing about frustration, stress, and then burnout.

When Alzheimer's started to really affect my dad, all I wanted to do was try to fix what was wrong. After months of doing this and my solutions became only temporary fixes, I became physically and mentally exhausted. The main thing I found out that I was doing was I was trying to fight the disease itself and it was wearing me down. I wanted to fix what was wrong instead of focusing on getting information on the disease to better equip myself. What Alzheimer's taught me was that there are some things that will take its course. So until there is a cure for this disease be can be certain that your family member will have to endure the numerous stages that Alzheimer's will take them through.

With the help of the internet, a person can gather so much information that can assist them with how to handle the different stages of the disease so you can be better equiped and cut down on so much burnout.

So, if you are experencing a lot of stress and burnout, you may want to take a step back and see if you are causing it trying to fight the disease rather than getting the info you need.
http://caregiversremainingconnected.com

No comments:

Post a Comment